Post-operative instructions for in-office whitening
What to Avoid
For the next 48 hours avoid dark staining substances, such as:
- Red wine
- Tobacco products
- Red sauces and dark condiments
- Sensitivity, especially to cold is normal over the next 2-3 days
- Whitening may cause temporary inflammation of your gums, cheeks and lips. Use lip balm, petroleum jelly or Vitamin E cream as needed.
- If you are experiencing sensitivity use your fluoride gel in your trays for 2-3 days.
- Avoid citrus fruits and beverages for 48 hours as these may cause increased sensitivity.
Immediate results may seem dramatic due to temporary dehydration of the teeth. The color will tone down and look more natural within 24 hours.
After whitening treatment, it is natural for the teeth to regress in their shading. This is gradual but can be accelerated by exposing the teeth to darkening agents. Treatment involves take home trays to freshen up your whitening as needed.