If your home uses well water, it’s possible there is enough naturally occurring fluoride in your water to help protect your children’s teeth. If not, you may wish to consider supplemental fluoride treatments to help fight tooth decay. It’s easy to test your water for fluoride content using test kits provided by most county health departments. Several sources are available to test the level of fluoride in your primary water source. It is also important to note that most bottled water does not contain fluoride.
There are some that do, so check the label. Many water filters also remove flouride from water, so be sure to check the label and buy one that does not. Below are the telephone numbers for county health departments in our area.
If you have well water, call your county health department for a fluoride test kit today.
- Allegan County Health Department (269)673-5415
- Kent County Environmental Department (616)632-6901
- Ottawa County Environmental Department (616)393-5654
- Ionia County Environmental Department (616)527-5341
- Montcalm County Health Branch (989)831-5237
- Barry County Health Department (for pickup information) (269)945-9516
- Michigan Department of Environmental Quality Drinking Water Lab (517)335-8184 (for shipping information)